Whether you are looking for electric car charger installation for home, or workplace EV charging, the very first steps in the process of the installation of your new electrical vehicle charging points would be to establish whether the EVHS grant is applicable to your new application and if Green Electrical can apply for the OLEV EVHS grant of up to £500 on the behalf of the customer.
What's required? The OLEV grant criteria:
- You own an electric vehicle, have ordered an electric vehicle or have an electric vehicle leased or company car.
- You acquired the vehicle after 1st April 2015.
- You intend to keep the vehicle for 6 months or longer from the date you took keepership
- Your property has off road parking such as a driveway or garage where you can park and charge the vehicle
- Your installation date is less than 4 months ahead of the date of the delivery or start date of the vehicle’s use. If not then you need to contact OLEV requesting permission.
- Your vehicle is on the OLEV electrical vehicle home scheme eligible list.
If your planned installation meets all of the criteria above, then Green Electrical will start the process and arrange either a free site visit if one is required or we will send out an email requesting further information and photographs in regards to your newly proposed electrical vehicle point.
- All quotation is based on the information being supplied by the customer at the initial contact stage.
- All quotations for EV charging installations as well as additional works are valid for 30 days.
- All quotations are issued from our on-line client portal system. Please note, we are unable to proceed with installations without our quotation being electronically accepted. This must be completed in the client portal.
Our Grant Application Process
• For all installations that are OLEV approved, Green Electrical will complete all the necessary paperwork on behalf of the customer.
Our Installation Process
- Your Green Electrical EV charging Installer will arrive within your given time slot. All our installers will carry company photo I.D and will be wearing company uniform.
- Your engineer will confirm the position as to where the EV charging unit will be located. This location should match the position identified in the quotation process, with the photos sent from the customer.
- The Installer will complete a final safety check of your existing electrics before starting work and if no additional works are required, they will start the installation of your new EV charging unit.
- During the installation process, your engineer will need to isolate the mains power to install your new EV circuit and to test. It is the customer's responsibility to ensure all household devices are correctly switched any work on computers is saved.
- Your NICEIC approved electrical engineer will commission and test your new EV charging unit and will give you a demonstration. An NICEIC Electrical Installation Certificate will be issued within 5 days of the installation.
Our Standard EV Terms and Conditions
Green Electrical are an approved NICEIC electrical contractor and all our engineers are Level 3 qualified in electrical installation, are 18th edition qualified and are experienced in electrical testing and certification. All appointments are made within a 2-hour time slot to allow the engineer time and flexibility to arrive at the installation address safely and on time.
All installations are unique, and some can take longer than others however in general, most installations take between 3-4 hours to complete. Upon the arrival of our engineer, access to the property’s consumer unit must be free and clear to work as with the agreed cable run for your new EV charging point circuit.
All estimates given are for a standard installation and our standard installation is as followed:
- The fitting of your new electrical vehicle charging point is to be mounted on a brick or plaster wall, or to another suitable permanent structure
- Up to 15 meters of 6mm twin and earth cable, run and neatly clipped direct to the wall between the distribution board or electricity supply meter
- The routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick, where needed.
- The installation of a 3-way fire rated 18th edition consumer unit complete with an Type A RCD and a Type C 32A miniature circuit breaker or for modern high integrity fuse-board, a Type C 32A RCBO will be installed. Any RCBO’s installed will match the existing fuse-board branding.
- Up to five meters of white plastic trunking or conduit to conceal interior wiring
- To be carried out by one installer in compliance with the NICEIC, BS 7671:2018 and IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation.
- Upon completion of the installation, an NICEIC Electrical Installation Certificate will be issued.
- The owner/customer or a responsible adult of the age of 18 years or over needs to be present on-site for the entire duration of the install
What's not included in the standard installation:
- The EV charger must be in your designated off-street parking area and be fixed at a height where it can’t be hit by a vehicle.
- We can’t fix the cable higher than 2.1 metres (6 feet 9”) above the ground. If fixing higher than this is unavoidable then the installation may need to be paused - in that case, we will quote for any extra work needed.
- As part of the standard package, additional works like digging a trench, installing a cable duct or suspend it above ground is not included. For bespoke works such as cable runs in the garden or under a path, please make these request at the initial quotation process.
- When you are using your charger the EV charging lead must remain on your property and must not create a trip hazard for you or anyone else.
- Our standard installation does not include cable runs under floorboards or through ducting / ceiling voids / wall voids. We can’t take responsibility for reinstating flooring or other building materials after the cable has been laid.
- Our electrical engineers are not able to work in unsafe areas such as crawl spaces, on roofs or in lofts.
- All our installations are subject to extreme weather (i.e. flooding or intense rain). In these conditions, if it is not safe for the electrician to carry on, our EV charging installers will do as much as they can, and we will return at a later date.
- For all other installations such as a free-standing mount or for an installation outside of the scope of a ‘standard installation’, costs are subject to change and additional costs may be applied.
The 18th edition wiring regulations and BS7671:
- All our EV charging point installations are in accordance with the 18th edition wiring regulations and BS7671.
- Green Electrical are unable to proceed with the installation if your installation does not meet the standard of these regulations. In these cases, the installation is paused and Green Electrical will provide a quotation for further works to meet the required standard.
Rescheduling and Timings:
- All appointments that are rescheduled are authorised by our administration office and not by the field engineer.
- All new bookings, appointments for additional works including quotations or cancellations are processed by our administration office and by the field engineer.
- All appointments are allocated with a minimum 2-hour time slot, if the initial and planned EV charging point installation can not be completed as additional works are required, there is the possibility these works can be undertaken during the initial appointment however such works are at the discretion of Green Electrical.
Need to rearrange your installation?
Please give us a call and we’ll happily reschedule your appointment. All we ask is 48 hours’ notice.
- If additional works are required prior to your EV charging point installation, Green Electrical will provide a no-obligation quotation, detailing the works required for these services. Quotations are valid for a period of 30 days once issued.
- If additional works are required and are minor that can be completed in the 2-hour time slot as stated above, a £30 discount will be applied if you decide to pay and proceed on the day.
- If Green Electrical determined that the additional works cannot be completed on the day, we will issue a quote for additional works, and a new installation date will be given once payment has been made. Green Electrical will always offer the next available date or date that is suitable to the customer subject to availability.
- If your Green Electrical EV charging installer believes that the installation does not comply with the OLEV grant requirements your installation will be paused. If the customer feels the assessment is not correct, they should contact our administration team on 0208 341 6315. From here, if the dispute remains unresolved, Green Electrical can then pass on the case to the DVLA/OLEV for pre-approval. If approval is granted, Green Electrical will always offer the next available date or date that is suitable to the customer subject to availability, for the installation to proceed.