A question we get asked a lot here at Green Electrical and Maintenance HQ is which product is the right one for me.
Today we are looking at the Ring and Nest Doorbells. So many homes are now becoming Smart homes and there are so many products out there on the market. We at Green Electrical are here to help you decide which one is the right product for you.
What once was a little, nondescript buzzer can now be a window to the outside world, it includes a camera so that you can see who's there from your smartphone – and even talk to them without opening the door. This can be done from home or away and can improve the security of your home as well as helping with the convenience of deliveries to your home.
Visually the Nest Doorbell is sleeker and stylish whereas the Ring Doorbell is slightly chunkier and more obvious on your door frame. Both Doorbells must be hard wired, but Ring also has the Ring Doorbell 2 available on the market which is battery operated and does not have to be hardwired. The Ring Doorbell 2 has a built-in rechargeable lithium battery so will not be required to be electrically installed. The Nest Doorbell can only be hardwired and must be run from the mains.
The Ring Doorbell comes in at a cheaper price to purchase but both products take a similar time to install so our cost to install would be pretty much the same.
Benefits of the Ring Video Doorbell are:
- With 1080HD video, two-way audio and customizable motion sensors
- Infrared night vision
- Requires existing doorbell wiring
- Get instant alerts when visitors press your doorbell or trigger the built-in motion sensors, and see, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your smartphone, tablet or PC
- Video on demand with live view
- Compatible with iOS, Android, Mac and Windows 10 devices
- Supplied with satin nickel, venetian bronze, black and pearl faceplates
Benefits of the Nest Hello Doorbell are:
- Nest Hello can send an alert when someone presses the doorbell or when it detects a person, motion or sound
- The alert includes a picture so you can very quickly see what is happening
- Using HDR and Night Vision, Nest Hello delivers bright, crisp images, day or night
- It has a 160-degree field of view and 8x digital zoom so you can see the big picture - including people head to toe or just focus on a parcel on the ground
- High quality speaker and microphone enabling you to have a two-way conversation with your visitors through the Nest App
- Can use a list of pre-recorded responses in the App to give your visitor a quick answer
- Wired so you are always able to check the live stream at any time, and view a 3-hour snapshot history
- Hardwired and requires a 16V AC-24V AC, 8VA transformer, chime and a wired doorbell
- With Nest Aware you can set up familiar face alerts to alert your phone if it sees a friend or family member, or if it detects an unfamiliar person, it will give you 30 days of continuous recording, held in the cloud and will allow you to create custom clips or time-lapse recordings to download and share
We hope this gives you a better idea of which product to choose, if you have any further questions our friendly office team will be happy to answer them for you.